An Easy Meatloaf Recipe -
It’s Like Bread, Only Made Of Meat!
Here's an easy meatloaf recipe you can serve hot or cold. I think it's
the best meatloaf recipe because it's so simple to make. I pretty sure
that you'll think it's the best meatloaf too.
You can eat it between two slices of bread (kind of like a burger), or you can serve it up with some
and steamed vegetables. Or, you can just have it on it’s own, which I’ve been known to do!
keeping with the theme of this site, this is a very basic meatloaf
recipe. Of course you can add things to it if you want, but it's a very
good base to start from.
It can get a bit messy, so before starting make sure you remove any expensive jewellery and wash your hands thoroughly.
To make enough for 2-4 people, the ingredients you'll need are:
- 50 grams / 2 ounces of soft breadcrumbs (as fresh as possible)
- 400 grams / 13 ounces minced beef (topside steak is good)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 50 grams / 2 ounces of grated carrot
- ½ a teaspoon of dried oregano
- ½ a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce / ketchup (you can add more after cooking if you want!)
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of pepper
- 1 large egg
The equipment you'll need is:
- A large mixing bowl (fairly deep is best)
- A small loaf tin approx. 5 centimetres or 3 inches deep
- An oven
Preparation, Cooking and Serving
As I said, this is really simple meatloaf recipe to make, albeit a bit messy! All you do now is:
- Turn on your oven and set it to 180° Celsius / 350° Fahrenheit / Gas Mark 4 / Moderate oven.
- While the oven’s heating up, grease the loaf tin with some canola oil spray, or other cooking spray.
- With the exception of the egg, place all the ingredients together into the mixing bowl.
everything together well with your hands. Try to get it all mixed
evenly, so break the mince up well and make sure the breadcrumbs are
spread well throughout (this is what helps hold it all together).
- Finally, crack the egg on the edge of the bowl and add it to the mix.
- Break the yolk up with your fingers and mix it and the egg white through the mixture (this is the really messy bit!).
- The egg will also help hold everything together, and attach itself well to the breadcrumbs.
- Transfer the mixture to the loaf tin and press it well into the tin. Make sure it’s spread evenly and the top is level.
- Place the tin into the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
That’s it! When it’s done, simply carve it up while still warm and serve with some side dishes of your choice. You can also chill it and serve it with a salad for a delicious summer meal.
Note: While this easy meatloaf recipe is quite versatile, if you are making this for more people you will also need to extend the cooking time (at the same temperature), as well as increasing the various quantities (and the size of the loaf tin!). For 6 people, bake it for 1 hour, and for 8 people, bake it for 1½ hours.
Any leftovers will keep (covered with plastic wrap) in the fridge for up to a week, and they make delicious sandwiches.
Return from Easy Meatloaf Recipe to Simple Meals
Return from Easy Meatloaf Recipe to Basic Cooking Home